notesfromthetrenchesIII

My blog has moved! Redirecting...

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit www.notesfromthetrenches.com/ and update your bookmarks.

Friday, August 26, 2005

I Did Not Okay This

Eight Months and 13 days old.



In the swing
Originally uploaded by the big yellow house.

Today my baby decided to take his first step without holding on.

He let go of the chair with his arms stretched out. His legs stiff and unbending. I wish I could say that he was walking to me, that I was the object of his affection so strong that he was willing to break out of his comfort zone and step into the unknown.

But alas it was a piece of bright orange candy that he saw fall to the ground and he was trying to beat his sister to it.

He lost. And my high pitched squealing scared him and he fell down. The first of many times he will learn that risk taking is well, risky. Sometimes it doesn't turn out the way you think it will, and you end up flat on your ass crying, wondering what the heck happened.

I want to tell him to slow down, not to be in such a rush to leave babyhood behind.

There will be plenty of time to walk later, like when he is 4 years old and we are out shopping and my arms are full of stuff and he is complaining and collapses to the ground and refuses to go on. THAT would be the perfect time to want to walk.

I hope his next milestone is sleeping through the night. Really really hope.

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow
That is young!

Have all your kids walked so early?

Mine have all been different and they get earlier each time.

My oldest daughter was 16 months before she would walk without touching anything.

Our youngest was 10 months and that seemed really really early to me.

I think everything seems so bittersweet when you have decided that this is the last one as you have. (and I have too!)

8:32 AM  
Blogger Kate Giovinco Photography said...

Wow he is growing so fast. Hopefully sleeping through the night will come soon. He is adorable.

8:44 AM  
Blogger Meg said...

WoW! He's a genius AND supercute! Sophia won't even crawl yet...

8:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, how super cute and super fast!! My Myles is just pulling himself up at the couch - he is just 8 mos old. How unstoppable they are!

Dot, mom to 6

9:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Go Miles go! I can't believe he's walking already.

More photos? Those darn kids are so cute!!

TB

10:14 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

He isn't sleeping through the night yet??? Is that possible with an 8 month old? OMG how depressing *slashes own wrists in the thought that I too may have more months ahead of me than I care to think of with broken sleep*

But amazing first step

11:41 AM  
Blogger halloweenlover said...

He is soooo cute! Tell him we all said congrats on the walking, and then knock him down a few more times. He'll be fine, he's wearing padding on the tooshy.

12:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just found your blog this morning. My son's sacked out on the couch with a cold, so while he watched Jumanji cartoons, I spent the afternoon reading all your archives. I haven't giggled like this in ages.
Dot

5:29 PM  
Blogger Sraikh said...

Mine is 10 months and is walking unaided for 4-5 steps. I want him to slow down too.

7:45 PM  
Blogger Me said...

Awwwww... sweet. Mine all walked by 10 months but my 'baby' gave up her bottle all by herself by 11 months and I was oh-so-sad. She was ready before I was. LOL.

2:03 PM  
Blogger ukok said...

First steps...ooh, it's all coming back to me now, aren't they just adorable at that age!

God Bless.

11:51 AM  
Blogger Jodi said...

awww he's starting to walk already? Hmm maybe that candy will come in handy for bribes later if he likes it so much!

5:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home