notesfromthetrenchesIII

My blog has moved! Redirecting...

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit www.notesfromthetrenches.com/ and update your bookmarks.

Wednesday, August 31, 2005

I Love Me Some Bargains

Even though I don't clip coupons or go out of my way to shop for sales, I still get excited when I get a good deal somewhere. Today at the grocery store I saved $294, I won't tell you how much I spent because that isn't important, because I SAVED $294!

Granted I bought meat on clearance and I wonder if that could ever be a good idea. But packages of Perdue chicken nuggets on sale for $1.00, marked down from $10, who with children can pass up such a bargain, I ask. Hopefully I won't be giving my unsuspecting family some virulent strain of food poisoning, thereby blowing my savings on doctor copays.

One of the grocery baggers asked me if I was stocking up for the end of the world and I looked at her and with a completely serious expression said, "Why yes. Yes I am."

She sort of chuckled and I continued to look at her. She didn't know what to say next, but I think I scared her. It was probably wrong how much I really enjoyed it.

Then I dragged my three carts full of food to my tiny car, because I left the gas guzzling van at home and packed the food into the tiny trunk that was filled up mostly with the stroller. Then I packed the food around the kids in the backseat who were strapped into their carseats and drove home, begging them to stop kicking the bread. The entire time thinking that if I ever won the lottery, or more accurately ever played the lottery and then won, I would employ someone to bring my groceries home and put them away.

When I got home from shopping I burst in the door and shouted to my 6 and 8 yr olds, "Want to hear my good news? I just saved a bunch of money on my grocery bill!"

And without missing a beat they both said, in unison, "Yeah, baby!"

God I love those kids. Even though they can drive me to crazy and back in a heartbeat, I still love them.

And the fact that most of them are old enough to carry the groceries in from the car and help put them away, makes me love them even more.

12 Comments:

Blogger buffi said...

Oh my, I hate bringing in the groceries and putting them away. I love the idea of paying someone to do it. Another thing to add to MY "Things to do with My Lottery Winnings" list!

11:54 PM  
Blogger Marion said...

Chris, I hope I'm as cool as you when I have kids :)


a lurking fan,
Mar

1:55 AM  
Blogger Meg said...

Ah...kids who appreciate a bargain. Let's see if that holds when they're teenagers...

8:45 AM  
Blogger halloweenlover said...

You've trained them well, Chris. I'm very impressed.

8:53 AM  
Blogger elzie said...

OH SO funny!
I scare people too ;)
Whenever I am asked if I want "assistance" out to my car, I tell the gal or gal; "no, but you can come home with me and help me put everything away." So far - no takers! :?

2:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The ability of children to unload the car after a massive trip to the grocery store is the greatest gift. Mine are 10,7 and 5 and they are all in the process of being trained "Nothing happens till this car is *empty*!"
I had a friend who had instructed her kids to clean out and detail the car after vacation trips. They even got to the point where they did it without being reminded. Can't wait for that day!

2:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great Blog! I also have a site about Gourmet Cheesecake Recipe
. You can check it out at Gourmet Cheesecake Recipe



Also, as a thank you for visiting my site, I'd like to tell you about a great site that is giving away a FREE DVD Camcorder! Just click the following link and enter your Zipcode to see if the promotion is available in your area!

FREE DVD Camcorder

10:52 PM  
Blogger gipedan said...

Yours By Design Heating and Cooling is a full service Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning (HVAC) contractor based in Blaine, MN
installing residential heating and air and commercial heating and air.**Heating****Cooling**shower water filtershower water filter

2:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your blog I found to be very interesting!
I just came across your blog and wanted to
drop you a note telling you how impressed I was with
the information you have posted here.
I have a auto insurance quote pennsylvania
site.
Come and check it out if you get time :-)
Best regards!

1:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is an excellent blog. Keep it going.You are providing
a great resource on the Internet here!
If you have a moment, please take a look at my automobile insurance coverages site.
Have a great week!

11:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is an excellent blog. Keep it going.You are providing
a great resource on the Internet here!
If you have a moment, please take a look at my automobile insurance quote site.
Have a great week!

11:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Experience Breast Enhancement in 5 Minutes Or Your Money Back!

10:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home