notesfromthetrenchesIII

My blog has moved! Redirecting...

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit www.notesfromthetrenches.com/ and update your bookmarks.

Monday, August 29, 2005

I Never Claimed To Be Rational

Rob bought these bags of trail mix at the store recently and I have been obsessively snacking on them. It's healthy, right? Doesn't trail mix get it's name because those healthy active sorts of people like to take it with them when they go hiking, presumably on trails?

Isn't that why there is such a great emphasis on carrying lightweight gear while hiking, so that a person would be physically able to carry the ten pound bag of snacks in addition to their tent, backpack, and sleeping bag?

Last night we were sitting on the couch together and I was snacking away. Rob watched me sift through the bag for a few minutes.

"Are you putting back all the almonds?" he asked.

"Yeah, I don't like almonds." I replied.

"But what about the cashews? You don't seem to be eating those either"

"Well, truth be told, I don't eat any of the nuts because they bother my stomach. So I put them all back into the bag, you know for the kids." I explained. I may have rolled my eyes here. I can't be sure.

"Are you eating the raisins and dried cranberries?"

"Uh, no not really. You know the kids will want something to eat with all those nuts." I reasoned.


"Okay, let me get this straight you aren't eating any of the nuts or dried fruit."

"That would be correct." I replied, as I dipped my hand back into the bag.

"If all you are eating is the chocolate chips, why don't you just get a bag of them to snack on?"

"Because that wouldn't be very healthy, you know like the trail mix." And I wondered, like I often do at times such as this, how I could still be married to someone who just doesn't get it.

"Uh huh."

"Please let me harbor the illusion that I am eating something good for me. I feel much better that way. Okay? Is that TOO MUCH TO ASK?? It's not like I am eating a goddamn cockroach like some people."

11 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

I do the same thing. I buy the veggie chips in the health food section. I'll sit and eat almost the whole bag. I finally checked out the fat content last week-same amount as regular chips. It figures.

8:44 PM  
Blogger Sleeping Mommy said...

I'm pretty sure I have asked you this before, if not I know I have thought it at least.

Are you my long lost sister?

8:56 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Are you actually the mother of MY children? They do that all the time. They also break apart chocolate chip cookies and just eat the chips. Weird I tells ya', weird!

9:38 PM  
Blogger Laurel said...

I literally just finished my snack of chocolate chips...but I know you burned more calories eating them because you had to hunt through the other stuff to find them...I"ll have to try that "healthier way to eat them" next time! :O)

9:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you eat them on friday, they have no calories, because friday, according to all my husband's co-workers, is free calorie day. Although, my scale seems to disagree with this line of logic, upon waking up on Saturday...but what the heck.

11:37 PM  
Blogger Meg said...

Whenever my MIL gives us bags of Chex mix, Brent and I eat all the rye breads out and throw away the rest. I know it's not chocolate chips, but it's the same principle, essentially.

8:04 AM  
Blogger Julie Brooks Barbour said...

Good comeback, Chris!

9:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Too funny.


I'm sure cockroaches are a delicacy in some parts of the world.

(I didn't think the northeast was one of them but oh well...)

9:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

At least you aren't like me: During the holidays, where there are boxed chocolates, I will bite the corner off one and if I don't like it, I'll put it back in the box! Of course, I only do this with family, and usually, they too don't like the lemon or pink filled chocolates (so, I'm doing us all a favor, right?).

Yeah baby!

1:22 PM  
Blogger molly | mommycoddle.com said...

You had me laughing out loud...

4:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

He doesn't get it since he's a man.

My mom and sister went to Kasikstan to get my niece (my sister adopted her) and they went to Trader Joes and bought 10 bags of Trail Mix. It's healthy and easy to carry and safe to eat in case there was nothing they liked. Makes sense to me.

5:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home